|Dimensions:||126′ x 26′ x 11′, 232 gross tons|
|Cause of Sinking:||Stranded in shallows after burning at dock|
|Built:||1857, Buffalo NY by Benjamin Buell Jones|
|Date Lost:||December 3, 1891|
|Construction:||Wooden propeller, configured as a wrecking tug|
|Propulsion:||Steam, twin-screw propeller|
|Skill Level:||Novice / snorkel / kayak|
|Location:||N45° 39.698′ W084° 26.100′|
The Leviathan was a well-known and successful wrecking tug, recovering many vessels from sinking, grounding, or other damage so that they could be repaired or rebuilt. She was stationed at Cheboygan from 1858 onward. She burned to a complete loss in December 1891, and the remains of the hulk were towed to an out-of-the-way location in Duncan Bay to decay.
The Leviathan has been mostly broken up by wind and ice, with the large bottom timbers remaining. The engine bed points can be found, and a few small metal parts remain scattered about. This site is a short swim from the Genesee Chief, and has just as many fish hiding in the nooks and crannies.
Mooring Buoy Status
This buoy has been removed for 2020.
This site has a mooring near the main timbers, and is only about 300 feet from the Genesee Chief. The site can also be accessed from shore via Cheboygan State Park.
The Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve maintains seasonal moorings at this site. Mooring are normally available from mid June to early September, the moorings make for easier location, safer diving and protect shipwrecks from damage from anchors and hooks. Vessels are required to use these moorings when they’re present.
Photos of the Leviathan